:minimalist

:minimalist

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Friday, August 17, 2018

 
C currently has two obsessions - the first is Monopoly, which he started learning to play in Dallas while visiting 爺爺 and 奶奶 at the end of July. First thing in the morning, "Can we play Monopoly?" And it pretty much goes on all day.

The second is restaurants. He randomly started saying our dining room is a restaurant called Okidan and asked me to write menus for what I'm cooking (breakfast, lunch, and dinner!). He calls himself the waiter (and also sometimes the busboy, and every so often the chef) and asks Cliff "How many?" when he comes in the door after work. One morning he woke up early and I heard him rustling around in the kitchen. A few minutes later, he came into our room and said, "Mommy, the table is set for breakfast at Okidan." He had set out plates, cups, and napkins for us.

We went to Chipotle yesterday and he was very curious about the fact that it has no waiters. I explained the fast casual restaurant concept, and for awhile he flirted with making Okidan a fast casual restaurant. I think he realized that would put him out of a job, though, and Okidan has since returned to full service restaurant status.

It's so interesting how he reinforces the things he's learned through imaginative play. He asks questions to confirm the consistency of his experiences and properly set expectations for the future. I know this isn't exactly groundbreaking child development science, but fun to experience firsthand nonetheless.
  |