less of me // more of You

|
Thursday, November 30, 2017
I was astonished that Pentatonix covered How Great Thou Art, until I realized they only did the first two verses. To a pantheistic, naturalistic, or secular society, the first two verses are actually quite palatable. They speak of the awesomeness of creation - of stars and thunder and lofty mountains. The normal human response to these things is one of worship (though the fallacy of worshipping created things rather than the Creator is common - Romans 1:18-25), so it's not inconceivable that the song would find some purchase in pop culture.
The third verse is the theological climax of the song, and I imagine it was objectionable to a secular group like Pentatonix because of its specificity to the Christian gospel. But oh! How can you deny the power of these words:
And when I think that God, His Son not sparing
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing
He bled and died to take away my sin
How can my soul help but to sing? Is there anything else in heaven or on earth within our comprehension that ought to inspire us to declare His greatness more than this?
bananna 1:56 AM |
|