:minimalist

:minimalist

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

 
A letter to some people in the Cornell community.

-------------

Subject: Cornell's standard of decency

To Whom It May Concern:

I have recently become concerned with Cornell University’s increasing endorsement of inappropriate sexual behavior among students. This is highlighted by the SAFC-sponsored event “Anal Sex 101,” as posted today (11/14/07) in Denice Cassaro's "Community Center Classifieds & Community Events" e-mail.

I am usually proud to be part of the Cornell community and its tradition of excellence. However, events like these have compelled me to express my disappointment with Cornell’s broad sponsorship of sexually irresponsible behavior. Ultimately, it is neither in the best interests of the University nor its students to promote the practice of unrestrained “sexual exploration.”

First, I question the utility of “Anal Sex 101” in supporting the purpose of Direct Action to Stop Homophobia, one of the sponsors of the event. Many of the events that I have seen hosted or sponsored by LGBT groups on campus involve the promotion of some kind of sexual behavior. I fail to see how this functions to discourage homophobia in any way. If the goal is better understanding of and interaction with the LGBT community, casual and irresponsible sexual behavior is not a very effective method.

Second, it is not appropriate for these events to be sponsored using Cornell’s money. It is one thing for students to engage in sexual behavior of their choice on their own time, but it is irresponsible and indecent for Cornell to openly encourage and sponsor such behavior by using money from the student activities fee.

If I were to suggest a SAFC-sponsored discussion of the importance of abstinence, I suspect that it would be dismissed and decried as trying to push my “morality” on those around me. In fact, advertising and hosting events to encourage sexual exploration is objectionable for the exact same reason. I am offended by those who would tell me that I should be experimenting with sex, particularly under the guise that this what I need to do to better understand the homosexual community. Cornell’s money would be much more appropriately spent supporting events that engage the community as a whole, not just those who want others to see sex from their point of view.

Lastly, I know you will agree with me that one of Cornell’s main concerns is the mental health of its students, as evidenced by the abundance of counseling resources on campus. I would argue that casual sexual behavior is one of the major causes of discontent and negative self-image on campus. Casual sex inevitably has undesirable consequences, both physical and emotional. It is irresponsible and outright deceitful to insist otherwise. By endorsing events that teach us to think of sex simply as a way to feel better about ourselves, or to think that sex is just a fun recreational activity with no consequences, Cornell is setting students up for disappointment and even depression.

Perhaps you can recall a time from your own experience when you thought that having sex was the answer to your loneliness, feeling of self worth, or a problem in a relationship. Was it? Considering the prevalence of depression, suicide, and divorce in our society, I think it is clear that more sex with more people is not the solution to our problems.

Money allocated to events such as these could be much better spent helping students explore more constructive ways of dealing with social pressures in their lives. Individuals who practice discipline and self-control in dealing with their problems will likely be more successful and content in the long run.

Thank you for taking the time to hear me out. I hope that in the future you will direct your efforts toward maintaining Cornell’s reputation for excellence and respectability in all things, including responsible sexual behavior.

Regards,

Anna Liu
Cornell University - Class of 2008
Mechanical Engineering
  |