less of me // more of You

|
Sunday, November 28, 2004
One of the most widespread (and disturbing) misconceptions I've run into among Christians is the idea that salvation ends at forgiveness. But our individual responsibility doesn't end here. So many people come before God and say "God, this is what I want, if You really loved me I'd be happy." But our relationship with God is more about "God, what is it that you want? I will do it, even if it's not what I want and it doesn't seem like the best thing for me right now." It's not about what we want. It's about becoming who He wants.
Paul commands in Romans 12:2 (NIV), "be transformed by the renewing of your mind". Salvation doesn't end at forgiveness; Christianity begins with forgiveness. But to live a transformed (read: truly saved) life, we have to do more than just profess the Name of Christ. James 2:17 (NASB) tells us, "faith, if it has no works, is dead..." So how do we go about being transformed and having living faith?
God has recently been putting this one thought in my life: brokenness. I've been struggling a bit with the old self... lazy, conceited, quick to criticize, quick to judge, slow to listen. I need to be restored and transformed.
There are some things about myself that I can change. I can change the clothes I wear (now that I don't have to wear that CCS uniform anymore... haha), the music I listen to, the food I eat... but the deep transformation I'm looking for can only come from Christ. I don't have this kind of strength. So before I can be transformed, I need to be broken. Broken into tiny little pieces so that there is no remnant of the old self. Broken so that I can be made new in Christ.
I haven't even gotten around to praying to be broken yet, though... right now I'm still praying for the courage to pray that I will be broken. It's a scary thing, and I suspect it's more of a slow process than a one time deal. But He put it on my heart, both to know and to share. So, if you are reading this and you profess Christ, I encourage - and challenge - you to take a look at your own life, at the things you say, the things you do, the attitudes you have, and ask yourself - is this the old self or the new self? Does this word/action/thought show that I have been transformed by Christ?
This isn't about judging people... it's about growing together as a community of believers and helping each other seek out God's will in each of our lives and becoming more like Christ every day. I'm asking for your help. Pray for me.
bananna 9:20 PM |
|