:minimalist

:minimalist

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Thursday, September 09, 2004

 
Acts 19:11-17

God was performing extraordinary miracles by the hands of Paul, so that handkerchiefs or aprons were even carried from his body to the sick, and the diseases left them and the evil spirits went out. But also some of the Jewish exorcists, who went from place to place, attempted to name over those who had the evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, "I adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preaches." Seven sons of one Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. And the evil spirit answered and said to them, "I recognize Jesus, and I know about Paul, but who are you?" And the man, in whom was the evil spirit, leaped on them and subdued all of them and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. This became known to all, both Jews and Greeks, who lived in Ephesus; and fear fell upon them all and the name of the Lord Jesus was being magnified.


^ That passage just cracks me up. Isn't that awesome?

One more...

Acts 21:1-14

As we were staying there for some days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. And coming to us, he took Paul's belt and bound his own feet and hands, and said, "This is what the Holy Spirit says: 'In this way the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.'" When we had heard this, we as well as the local residents began begging him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, "What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but even to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus." And since he would not be persuaded, we fell silent, remarking, "The will of the Lord be done!"


So often Christians talk about willingness to die for Christ. Which is awesome. I remember one winter retreat, though, where I attended a workshop about being a living sacrifice. In some ways, it's almost harder because it's a continuous, constant decision. As HS put it, we're like sheep sitting up on that altar, and suddenly we say "Oh look, a carrot!" (do sheep eat carrots?) and wander off. Then we have to be taken, purified, set on the altar again. I want to live for Christ.

Oh, it's been raining here. And not rain like Californian rain. Rain like Ithaca, NY rain. Intense. And very, very wet. This weekend is supposed to be nice, although it comes with 70-90% humidity, which sort of cancels out the fact that the sun is out and just makes it plain gross. Sigh.

Thank goodness chem lab was only 2 hours today. I ate breakfast this morning, but I was still pretty hungry. Must be all that walking or something, huh?

the law as to justice
  |