:minimalist

:minimalist

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

 
So, it's been a long day. But I'm amazed at how much I can accomplish when I'm not on the computer. Ha.

Today was mostly spent... writing thank you notes, cleaning random corners of my room, and waiting for 6 PM to roll around so I could get out of the house. I had a lesson with this kid scheduled at 6:30... not one of my regular students, just covering the lesson for one of the instructors who are in Europe right now. Wow, this kid was annoying. So, I introduce myself to this fat little five-and-a-half year old kid, and he starts talking in this high pitched squeaky voice. Okay, not a good start. Anyway, his mom told me that she thought maybe his pants were too tight and wanted to know if they could buy a pair of the next size up, but the kid interrupts, "No, they're not too tight." So the mom is like oh, okay, if you say so. So we're about five minutes into the lesson, and the kid yells at the top of his lungs (in his high pitched squeaky voice), "Mom, my pants are too tight!" So I'm like uh... okay... so I go into the back room to see if we have any pants one size up, but we don't, so I tell the mom that she can go have the waistband altered, but for now the kid is just going to have to suffer (of course I didn't quite word it that way). So we get back to the lesson. The kid has ADHD, I think. He keeps looking around (I don't think it was entirely his fault... there is a lot to look at around our school, and there was a lot going on at that moment in time) and not listening to what I'm saying, and when he finally does what I ask him to do, he does it while making obnoxious noises and generally making a fool of himself. Well, as much of a fool as a five year old kid can be.

*deep breath*

So, we're about 15 minutes into the half-hour lesson, and the kid asks to get a drink. I say okay, sure. So the mom takes the kid to the bathroom since they didn't bring a water bottle. About three minutes later, the kid and the mom come back out. Apparently, the kid decided while he was in the bathroom that he had to go to the bathroom. So I'm like okay, that's cool, no problem. Three minutes later, the kid says (again, in this high pitched, squeaky kid voice), "I forgot to get a drink of water!" By this time, I'm ready to tear out my hair because the whole time, the kid hasn't been doing anything, certainly not exerting himself to the point where he would really need some water. The kid keeps asking these questions as I'm explaining things (Well, what happens if the bad guy does this? Do bad guys know kung fu? Can you keep kicking him after he falls down?), so I finally decide that I'm not going to get him to focus, and I end the lesson five minutes early. Whew.

I hope I never have to deal with that kid again. It was more brutal than some of the workouts I've had.

i wanna hold your hand
  |