:minimalist

:minimalist

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

 
I wish I had my computer. Last night I was going to post some stuff about my day, but I didn't want to walk all the way up to the lab. Oh well.

Oh, yeah. I wanted to talk about the rain yesterday. Wowwww. I remember in 8th grade, I had a teacher named Mrs. Brunkal who was talking about an upcoming trip to Washington, D.C. and telling us to bring rain gear. She told us that one year when they went, it was raining so hard that the water was bouncing off the pavement. Yeah, well, it didn't rain like that when I went to D.C. that year, but it rained like that here in Ithaca, NY yesterday. Crazy awesome. Rain literally bouncing about three inches off the pavement. Freshman housing is on north campus, the engineering quad at the south end of central campus. By the time I got to my first class, my pants were soaked from the knee down. I shifted my umbrella back a bit to protect my backpack, which had my calculator, which is more important than my pants. So, yeah. It was an interesting experience. One of the buildings in the engineering quad is new, and there isn't much landscaping (immature trees, loose topsoil, etc.), so there was this river of mud running across the quad. Which was interesting. And today, it's beautiful and sunny and clear and cool. The weather here is strange. But I like it. :) :) :)

So, my first class today was my math section at 9:05 AM. Which wasn't too fun. The TA is a grad student... I forget what she's studying, but it's not math or engineering, I don't think. She was doing derivatives today as part of a problem and the class kept correcting her mistakes. It really doesn't inspire too much confidence, you know? It there's any CCS seniors reading this, enjoy working hard for Mrs. Nitao while you can. I miss it.

Oh, I think I'm going to get the "I'm blogging this" shirt from ThinkGeek. I realized that whenever something interesting/twisted happens, my first thought is, "Hey, I have to remember to put that on my blog."

But what I write is more for my entertainment than yours, so don't feel too special, okay? Thanks. I appreciate that.

After math section, I went to chem 207... I <3 the professor, Paul Chirik. He's funny, explains things well, doesn't take himself seriously, but takes his class seriously. Good. I like. And he burns and blows stuff up, too. I might actually like chemistry this year. I sat in the chem 211 lecture yesterday because I'm officially still in that class... the professor isn't bad, but nothing compared to Chirik. He definitely doesn't have the same flare.

ENGRI 117... Introduction to Mechanical Engineering. The professor isn't too interesting. His lecture doesn't seem to have a point, he just keeps talking. Today he was talking about unit systems... He speaks with an accent and keeps pausing. So it sounds like, "So. We have here. This United States system. And this, the Systeme International d'units. So if we measure, ah, force. The US system, we use these, pounds. The SI system, what is it, ah? Anyone know? Yes. Newtons. Very good. I see you know everything, I don't need to teach you." So yeah, he's kind of funny, but I'm definitely going to have to sit in the front of the room next time. He writes a lot, and it's hard to see from the back. Plus, there's this really nice view out the window of Anabel Taylor Hall, which is really distracting. Have I mentioned that Cornell has a beautiful campus?

I still don't have my check card from the bank. This is kind of annoying, since I kind of want to buy... oh, you know, books and stuff. Sheesh. Oh, I'd like my computer, too. Wait, I already said that, didn't I? Oh well. It can't be said enough.

What about... now?
  |