:minimalist

:minimalist

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Saturday, February 01, 2003

 
Happy New Year.

So science bowl today... goodness, it was fun. And funny. I get there at about 8:20... and everyone else (that being AJ, Paul, TF, Darren, Nikki, Daniel, Mrs. C, and Mrs. Ng) was sitting around reviewing random science books... physics, chem, bio, earth science... so I picked one up, opened it, and read about the Archimedes principle. Now, I can't tell you know what I read, but it had something to do with displacement of water and bouyancy. 1st round, vs. Mission San Jose. We were slaughtered. But there was a question about a boat's buoyancy... and the first choice was Archimedes principle... so I interrupted... and guessed "w"... and it was right. ?:| What were the odds that what I read last minute was actually going to be a question? I ended up answering 4 or 5 correctly, I think. Not counting bonus questions... :)

Second round, we lost pretty badly to... umm... I forget who. Third round, too. Then fourth round, we played Monte Vista... and beat them! Yayyy! lol... 5th round was Livermore, and we beat them as well. We had a 45 minute lunch break, during which we talked about... being Chinese and stealing the free food. haha but we didn't...

6th round, we lost pretty badly to Monta Vista. 7th round was our bye, so we sat in on Mission SJ vs. Monte Vista. SJ won... by a lot... we were cheering for them, too! :) All Chinese/Asian... There was this little 9th grade boy named James, and a funny sophmore dude named Eric... they were the most memorable. Eric was really random... We watched SJ beat Monte Vista, Granada, then lose to Monta Vista... sigh. We didn't like Monta Vista because their captain was really arrogant... so when SJ lost in the second to last round, we rooted for Lynbrook in the Lynbrook vs. Monta Vista championship round. Lynbrook beat Monta Vista... their captain was funny. The whole time, he sat there with his head on his right arm, and his right hand on the buzzer. He would only lift his head to answer, then put it back down... but he still managed to get almost everything right. Pretty amazing.

Interestingly, the teams we lost to were all mostly or completely Asian. Lynbrook, the champions, also had 4 Asian guys and 1 Caucasian girl...

Oh yes. We also got nice shirts. And these little blue popup clock thingies. Darren kept making comments about how blue clocks on Chinese New Year are bad luck, because a clock has something to do with time running out, and blue is the color of death. So when Monta Vista played Lynbrook, we pointed our clocks toward Monta Vista. And they lost :) Not that I'm superstitious in any way, shape, or form.

I think I'm going to sit in front of my computer for the rest of the day. Or maybe I'll go do some math homework.

You have no escape. Make your time.
  |